Tips for Storing Breastmilk
You’ve worked hard to pump your breastmilk, so you’ll want to make sure it’s properly stored. Here are some tips for storage and thawing.
We know that you’ve worked hard to pump breastmilk for your baby, so it’s important to store it properly in a safe and sanitary place. Following are tips for storing and thawing your breastmilk to ensure you give your baby the very best.
Safe Temperature Storage Guidelines
Following are guidelines from La Leche League International on how to safely store breastmilk at various temperatures:
What Type of Container to Use
Refrigerated or frozen milk may be stored in:
- Hard-sided plastic or glass containers with well-fitting tops. Make sure you mark them with a date!
- BPA Free containers, milk bags that are specifically designed for storing breastmilk
Other storages tips:
- Containers or bags should not be filled to the top - leave at least one inch of space to allow the milk to expand as it freezes.
- Disposable bottle liners are not recommended for storing breastmilk because the risk of contamination is greater. These types of bags can be less durable and can tend to leak – you certainly don’t want to inadvertently lose any precious breastmilk!
- Mark the date on the storage container. Also include your baby's name on the label if your baby is in a group day care setting.
- If you are pumping and storing your breastmilk at work in a common refrigerator, make sure you label it with your name or put it in a bag (also marked) so it is not mistaken for regular milk.
- Keep frozen breastmilk in the middle of the freezer where the temperature is most consistent. The temperature on the sides can fluctuate and you do not want milk to partially thaw because it cannot be refrozen.
MOTHER-K Powdered Milk Storage Bags 30s
A must have travel essential! Anti static on interior of bag prevent milk powder from sticking inside so your baby gets full feed. Funnel shape design ensures milk powder flows down easily into bottle during preparation. Anti bacterial tested to ensure safety for your baby. Replaces conventional milk powder containers so you can save space and weight in your diaper bag. Feather light material so you can bring out as many packs of feed as you want without feeling the bulkiness/weight. Travel in style and convenience!
(Source from: https://www.lansinoh.com/en/resources/storing-breastmilk)