How to Clean, Sterilize and Store Feeding Equipment?
All feeding equipment for breastmilk or infant formula must be washed thoroughly and sterilized. They include feeding bottles, teats, bottle covers, rings, and other accessories such as tongs and knives.
1) How to clean feeding equipment
- Before cleaning feeding equipment, wash your hands with soap and water . Clean the work surface with hot soapy water.
- Wash feeding bottles, teats and tongs in warm soapy water immediately after feeding by using a clean bottle brush. Ensure that there are no remains of milk left inside. Then rinse the equipment thoroughly in running water.
2) Sterilizing the feeding equipment
i) Sterilizing by boiling
Make sure the equipment can be boiled. Put the cleaned equipment into a large pot. Cover all items with water and make sure no air bubble is trapped. Place the lid on the pot. Boil the feeding equipment for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave the water to cool. Keep the pot covered until the feeding equipment is needed.
ii) Steam sterilizing using electric or microwave sterilizer
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Make sure that the openings of the bottles and teats face downwards in the sterilizer. Remove the feeding equipment only when you are going to prepare a feed. If the sterilizer has been opened, the content requires to be sterilized again.
iii) Using chemical sterilizing solution
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for sterilization and changing the sterilizing solution. For most products, change the solution every 24 hours. Put the feeding equipment into the sterilizing solution. Make sure no air bubbles are trapped inside the bottles and teats. Place a floating cover over the equipment to keep all items in the sterilizing solution. Leave all items in the sterilizing solution for at least 30 minutes.
Philips Avent 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer
- Adjustable size fits all bottle types
- Suitable for wide neck and narrow neck bottles
- Extra speed and safety
- 6 minute cycle with automatic shut-off Effective sterilization
- Natural steam sterilization kills 99.9% of harmful germs .This sterilizer is made from BPA Free materials
Adjustable size and integrated dishwasher basket. Due to its adjustable size, this 4-in-1 sterilizer perfectly fits the items you would like to sterilize and always takes up the least amount of kitchen space.
The 4-in-1 functionality gives you:
1) Small size configuration for sterilizing soothers
2) Medium size configuration for sterilizing several bottles, toddler plates, knives, and forks
3) Large size configuration for sterilizing a full load of up to 6 bottles
4) Integrated dishwasher basket for hassle free pre-cleaning of bottles and accessories
(Source from: http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/health_info/child/12146.pdf)